Skip to content

Change of Plans

October 27, 2010

I realize I’ve been slacking on the blog lately – but honestly, nothing that interesting has been happening. You may remember about a month ago I mentioned that we were supposed to be going to Orlando for a conference – well, that isn’t going to work out. šŸ˜¦

If everything had gone according to plan, we would have left on a plane earlier this evening and would be halfway to Orlando right now. A few weeks ago there was some debate over whether a plane would be available to take us there, but when it turned out there would be a plane I arranged to have Thursday and Friday off of work, we got all of our authorization paperwork taken care of, I got the dogs up-to-date on their bordatella vaccines, made kennel reserverations, and we started to get excited about the trip.

But then YESTERDAY we were told they scheduled Howdy for a local flight on Thursday night. The local flight has nothing to do with the conference, it’s just a flight he needs to get taken care of before the middle of November. Also, due to the weather and other variables, there’s a very significant chance that the flight will get cancelled. If the flight does get cancelled, by the time we know about it, it will be too late to get down to Orlando. We would have to buy 2 last-minute plane tickets to leave Friday morning (which would probably be at least $1500), and then have to turn around and come right back on Sunday. As much as I wanted to go to Orlando this weekend for the conference, I don’t want to spend $1500+ to go for a day and a half. We would spend more time in the air then we would in Orlando!

I was extremely disappointed yesterday and it really put me in a bad mood the entire evening. Howdy and I both have been working very hard lately, and I was looking forward to having the time away to have fun seeing old friends, making new friends, and just spending some quality time together.

To make the best of things, I decided to keep my 4-day weekend. I also scheduled a massage for tomorrow afternoon at a spa downtown, and Howdy and I made plans to go to Girdwood on Friday and Saturday instead. I’m hoping we’ll be able to get in some hiking before the snow really hits (we’re supposedly going to get NINE INCHES this weekend!!), but we’ll have to wait and see. But overall, despite our drastic change in plans, I’m once again excited for the weekend and practically giddy at the realization that I can stay up late tonight and sleep in tomorrow! šŸ™‚

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. October 28, 2010 8:27 am

    I want to come hiking with you šŸ˜¦

    Sigh – June 2012 I will be there… but it’s too far away!

  2. October 28, 2010 9:34 am

    grrrrr! that’s so frustrating! well, at least you have some time off, and you won’t be stuck unpacking/recovering from a big weekend trip. time to kick back relax and enjoy the last few snow-free (ish) days.

  3. November 2, 2010 7:05 pm

    Good second plan….and NINE inches? Jealous!….even though I now live in a state WHERE IT SNOWS…I’ve yet to see any.

    PS: we can be nosebleed twins. šŸ™‚

Trackbacks

  1. …In which I reveal my (extra) nerdy side « If Here Was There
  2. A Weekend Away « If Here Was There
  3. A brief interruption « If Here Was There

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: